If you are a business owner, you'll know that the more stressed out you are, the more you need a holiday and the less easy it is to make the time! With the holiday season fast approaching here are a few tips to help you plan a holiday and make the most of it:
1. Put systems in place - If you write down your procedures and practices and ensure your team are following them, you can lie on the beach without worrying. The earlier you put systems in place within your business, the earlier you will reap the benefits.
2. Plan - Use your most productive time of day to plan your holiday. Don't try and do it once you get home, after the kids are in bed. Put aside 30 minutes each working day to really plan your holiday and book airfares and accommodation. You'll have less risk of booking incorrect dates and time and your holiday will be more cohesive.
3. Rethink how you use your time - If you spend your day rushing from A to B, book a holiday that involves lying in one place. If you spend your work week on a wheelie chair in front of a monitor, go somewhere with plenty of places to walk and explore. Make sure your holiday is a real break from reality - not just the same behaviours moved to a different location.
4. Shut off - Leave your mobile and laptop behind and don't check your emails. If you are away from the office, you are out of contact. If it's an emergency, your team can call the hotel, but do not give any way to contact you directly.
5. Take a mini-break - If you really can't get away for a week or two, take a long weekend, unplug and relax. Explore your nearest large city and visit the theatre or get your blood pumping with a live sports game. If you are in the city, find your closest rural retreat, have a massage then get your gumboots on and step out into that invigorating fresh air.